Click here to go back to main course page

GCSE English Language

What qualification will this course lead to?

GCSE English (WJEC)

What topics will I study?

You will be offered a variety of topics as you study different areas of the course which include: Non-fiction texts, A Shakespeare play, Narrative writing, Creating and sustaining roles, Various Speaking and listening activities, Writing of speeches, articles, letters, reviews, reports and leaflets.

What understanding and skills will I develop?

By the end of the course you will have developed your understanding and acquired many skills in several areas:

Speaking, Listening and Spoken Language

You will have learnt how to communicate clearly and purposefully; listen and respond to others ideas; how to interact with others; create and sustain roles, how spoken language is adapted according to purpose and audience.

Written language

You will have learnt how to read and understand texts, selecting appropriate materials, making comparisons and cross-referencing; how to develop and interpret writers' ideas; how to explain and evaluate how writers use a variety of devices to engage their readers.


How to communicate clearly, using a variety of forms and selecting appropriate vocabulary for the task of purpose of writing; how to organise information; how to use a variety of sentences to make your meaning clear, using accurate punctuation and spelling.

How will I be assessed?

You will be assessed through two externally assessed examinations of one hour each. Each exam is worth 20% of the total mark (40% for both exams). You will also complete 4 written and a minimum of 3 spoken controlled assessments (remaining 60% of award).

What can this course lead to?

The study of English is essential for any career choice you make.